- Dish type
This is my version of traditional trifle without using jelly. It includes a fresh custard recipe but you could use supermarket prepared custard or make it with powder.
182 people made this
- 5 trifle sponge cakes
- 5 tablespoons raspberry jam, or as needed
- 200g punnet fresh raspberries, or more if preferred
- 2 (284 ml) cartons double cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 30g (1oz) caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) toasted flaked almonds.
MethodPrep:1hr10min ›Cook:15min ›Extra time:1hr chilling › Ready in:2hr25min
- Spread raspberry jam onto each piece of sponge cake.
- Then break the sponge cakes into pieces and place in bottom of large glass bowl.
- Sprinkle over the fresh raspberries.
- Next make a custard by gently heating ONE carton of double cream in a small saucepan.
- While the cream is heating, beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl until golden yellow and smooth, then strain into clean bowl.
- Now pour the warm cream into it, and stir like billyo! Return custard to saucepan on a low heat and stir gently while it thickens. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon - then remove it from the heat and leave to cool down.
- Pour the cooled custard over the sponge cakes. Whip the other carton of cream, but not too stiffly, and spread over the custard.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds, and chill for a couple of hours before scoffing!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(102)
Reviews in English (85)
This is a trifle for grown-ups! I did use bought custard just to save time but we all loved the fresh raspberries. I made it for dessert today.-31 Aug 2008
I dont think this picture goes with the ingredients!Its strawberries and bananas used, cant see any flaked almonds either, will include whats in the picture I think and go by the instruction, had anyone else noticed that before they wrote a review??-13 Feb 2012
what a recipe FANTASTIC.-10 Oct 2008