- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
Want to do something different with fresh beetroot? This recipe is a fab vegetarian dish for the BBQ, a colourful and flavourful alternative to your usual veggie fare.
38 people made this
- 75ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 3 medium beetroots, sliced into rounds
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:20min marinating › Ready in:1hr
- In a medium bowl, mix balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic and herbes de Provence. Place beetroot in the mixture, and marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor barbecue for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- Place the beetroot and marinade mixture on a piece of foil large enough to wrap all ingredients, and seal tightly. Place the foil parcel on the prepared barbecue, and cook 25 minutes, or until beetroot is tender.
- Remove beetroot from the packet, and place directly on the barbecue grate for 2 to 5 minutes before serving hot.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(42)
Reviews in English (36)
I wanted to use both the beets and the greens so I changed it up a bit. I took the raw unpeeled beets and boiled them for a few minutes until tender crisp stage. Let them cool, then peeled and sliced them. Added them to the marinade and omitted the garlic ( I felt like they would overpower the earthy sweet flavor). Grilled them directly on grill for a few minutes on each side.For the greens, I carmelized some red onion and thick cut bacon in a little olive oil with a bit of turbinado sugar and splash of balsamic, then sauteed the greens for just a few minutes until tender and bright green. Served the grilled beets on top of the greens. The flavors were bright and simple!-06 Jul 2008
The beets were OK, but a little dry. Also, I questioned putting the marinade and the beets in aluminum foil. I've always heard that vinegar and aluminum interact negatively. I also questioned whether the beets should have been marinated AFTER the grilling. The raw beets were hard to handle, and I wonder if the flavor wouldn't have been more intense with marinating after the cooking.-29 Mar 2003